Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Travel Gear: Headphones


I rarely use headphones when traveling. On a long-haul, I prefer to read, snooze, or watch a movie in silence with subtitles turned on. I have yet to find comfortable, compact headphones.

Back in 1980, when the Sony Walkman was introduced to the USA, the airlines were still handing out pneumatic headsets in Economy.

These are plastic tubes that plug into two speakers hidden in the armrest.

There was usually a charge for headphones in Economy. For no charge I could swivel the armrest up to my ear. This uncomfortable posture only worked for a few minutes while I appeased my curiosity about something that had caught my attention on the screen.

The in-flight movie used actual film projected onto a screen on each bulkhead. Standing at the back of a two-aisle DC-10, I could see a different point in the movie on each screen through a cloud of cigarette smoke.
Pneumatic headsets still have application today. Headsets, almost identical to my Northwest Orient headset, can be worn by patients undergoing MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scans. Being all-plastic, they don't interfere with the magnetic field.

Today, for occasional listening on the move, I have a pair of buds I got free for taking part in a Google survey while killing time in an airport. They come in useful, with the sound off, if the person seated next to me talks at me, rather than with me.

In my hotel room, the speakers in my phone or tablet are sufficient for listening to the news on public radio. If I want better sound, I just connect the device to the television using a jack-to-phono cord.

Note: I still have the headset and the safety card. The card was lifted at the end of the final flight of an NWA MD-11 from HNL to MSP.

8 comments:

  1. Nice to learn about this. It will be great to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit. bass headphones 2017

    ReplyDelete
  3. It means that you will not be able to enjoy your music if you move a little distance away from the source of music. There are some headphones that work for specific frequencies only. Therefore, you should choose headphones that are easy to use.
    http://stereodevelopment.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having said that, there's no genuine reason these days while picking a sack to decide on second best in the style stakes.Olympia USA Apache Luggage Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are most likely familiar with earbuds as the headphones that typically come free when you purchase an MP3 player, iPod, iPhone, iTouch, smart phone, etc. These tiny headphones seat inside the ear canal.http://audiogeekhub.com/roland-jd-xa-review/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this post,And I figure that they having a great time to peruse this post,they might take a decent site to make an information,thanks for sharing it to me. http://ampleom.edublogs.org/2018/01/10/headphone/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Open headphones generally bring a sense of comfort while listening, will not cause any pressure to the ears. It is applicable to enjoy music indoor. But this type of headphone has a great impact on the environment, with a certain regional limitation.
    bluetooth headphones review

    ReplyDelete