Friday, October 24, 2014

Travel Gear: Trekking Gloves


In Marketing class I learned about a man who had a bunch of folding stools to sell. He first positioned them as general-purpose folding stools, but there were no takers. He sold them all when he positioned them as fishing stools.

A well-positioned product connects with a specific market. With a bit of luck, the sale requires minimal targeted advertising and fetches a premium price.

This week I've been in the market for gloves. Not just any gloves, but gloves to protect my hands when I clamber over rocks and ride scree.

I've explored volcanic trails without gloves. After a few days of clambering, the tips of my fingers crack painfully at the cuticles.

REI outdoors equipment store had gloves at various price points. Some were north of $100, but nothing met my need.

After some discussion, two sales associates suggested the $38 leather work gloves. "Built for tough jobs in the outdoors, ... keep your hands warm without giving up dexterity."

I did not want gloves that are too heavy and too hot for subtropical trails.

But I now had the right positioning word: "work."

I drove over to The Home Depot where an associate from Tanzania led me to the work gloves aisle. The selection ranged from $5 to $20.


I thought about the group of hikers I had seen at a trailhead on Japan's Yakushima Island earlier this year. They were putting on gloves of a type I had not seen at REI: regular work gloves.

I left with a $10 pair of "Grease Monkey" work gloves.


Had REI positioned these as "trekking" gloves, the price point could have been nearer $50.

The protection is where I need it: leather for fingers and palms, breathable mesh on the back. These are not substitutes for the job, they are exactly what I need.

This winter I will be wearing my monkey gloves while actual monkeys go about their business in the forest.

2 comments:

  1. Likewise, rankle tears can turn into another real issue, particularly on the off chance that you don't play it safe. gloves for rowing machine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also you may notice your fingertips seem cooler since most of your finger will be covered by the glove portion as well as the mitten flap while the tips of your fingers only have the flap as coverage.Website

    ReplyDelete